Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Blazin' Birthday Wishes

Recently, a few of us from the Giggler's hosted the SCS (Splitcoaststampers) NEPA Stamp & Swap "How Sweet It is" event.  Nothin's sweeter on your birthday than a cake so I used one on my shoebox project.  


I found a fun & easy technique on SCS called Spotted Background by Beate.  I used 4 colors (you can use 3 or more) & started by stamping the lightest color, Mustard Seed Mini Ink Pad, directly on the glossy cardstock randomly 4 or 5 times.  I let the ink spot try a few seconds then used a paper towel to rub over the ink spot in circular motion to blend the color, leaving white spaces for the other colors.  I blended my colors a lot but if you rub them in a smaller circle & only overlap a little you'll see more of the individual colors & the ink spot.  Repeat for each of the other colors (light to dark):  Peacock Feathers, Spiced Marmalade, Picked Raspberries.  



A few tips for stamping on glossy paper: After completing the background, hit it with a heat gun or let it dry a little. When you stamp the image, stamp straight down & lift the stamp straight up, be careful not to twist or rock the stamp or the image will be blurred.  The cake is colored with a brown sharpie marker & I added a little glitz to the candle flames & sparklers with a pen.  I finished up with 3 different colors of gems in the top right corner.


Thanks for looking & I hope you give this neat technique a try!

Supplies:  Cardstock - Tim Holtz Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Ink Cardstock, SU Tempting Turquoise; Ink - Tim Holtz Distress Inks Mini Pads 1Tsukineko Stazon Jet Black InkStamps - Heather Birthday Cake, SU Birthday Greetings; Misc - Brown Sharpie Marker, Gelly Roll Gold Star Pen, Paper towel

No comments:

Post a Comment