Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Friday, December 8, 2017

Peppermint Sugar Cookies

I designed this 6X6 recipe card for the December class at The Craft Shack.  I knew I wanted to use bright red & candy canes but that was it.  Then I attended a Dickens event  & found my inspiration!  Below are details on how I made the recipe card & a photo of what inspired me.

Sorry the photo is blurry but the white mat was stamped with Tim Holtz Flurry Stamp in Distress Candied Apple Ink & adhered to the SU Real Red CS base.

The snowflakes from Tim Holtz Reindeer Flight Stamp Set were stamped on the next layer of white with Tim Holtz Embossing Ink & sprinkled with Ranger Clear Embossing Powder then heat embossed.  That was added to the base layers.  Next the title & recipe were matted & added.

The candy canes were cut from Neenah Premium 110 lb Extra Heavy CS on my Cricut with Joys of the Season cartridge.  Once cut, I stamped them at an angle with Tim Holtz Stripes Background Stamp in Candied Apple Distress Ink.  After the ink dried, I applied embossing ink then covered them with Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel & heat embossed.  I repeated this step so it looked very shiny & thick...like a candy cane.  They were crossed & held together with Ranger Glossy Accents

Two pine boughs from Tim Holtz Holiday Mini Greens Dies were cut from Tim Holtz Core-dinations 12-x-12-Cardstock.  They were snipped apart, layered & glued together to form a swag.  Tim's Beaded Berries were dipped in Candied Apple Distress Spray Stain & the stems were colored with a Peeled Paint Distress Marker then added with a glue dot.  I used a glue dot to adhere the swag to the candy canes then wrapped red jute twine around the greens & tied 2 silver Tim Holtz Tiny Bells on with the same twine & tied a bow.  I added the candy canes to the recipe card using mini glue dots & Scor-Tape.

Don't you just love my inspiration?  We attended Dickens of a Christmas Celebration in Wellsboro, PA where I purchased this hand made candy cane door decoration in deep red from a street vendor.  I think the candy canes on the recipe card look pretty close...don't you?


Thanks for looking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment