Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Flowers for Your Birthday

I made these birthday cards using Tim Holtz Alcohol Lift-Ink Technique for the Giggler's August birthday girls, Judy & Robin.  Lots of fun & its like a BOGO sale!!


How I did it:
Following Tim's instructions, I started by creating a background on Ranger White Alcohol Ink Yupo Cardstock with Aquamarine, Dandelion & Bottle alcohol inks.  Using my Tim Holtz Stamp PlatformI stamped Hero Arts Everything Flower stamp using the alcohol lift-ink onto the background.  To transfer the ink, I immediately stamped the  image onto a  piece of Neenah Premium 110 lb extra heavy cardstock.  I then went back to the original background to blot & dab the image off.  The "happy birthday" was cut from thin foam from the Dollar Tree using Tim Holtz Alterations Celebration Word Script then run through my Xyron sticker maker.  I liked being able to bend the "birthday" into an arch.  I thought the green sentiment needed something to stand out so I brushed it with Clear Zig Wink of Stella.  To finish them off, I added a few pieces of Neat & Tangled Sequin with Ranger Glossy Accents.  It was then mounted on another piece of white cardstock and SU! Tempting Turquoise. 

What worked best for me:
I've practiced this technique several times & since you need to work quickly having a design plan helps.  I like using medium to dark colors because the lighter colors looked washed out on the white Yupo.  I was also impatient so I ended up with a few smears & rubbed to much ink off because I didn't listen to Tim...make sure the alcohol ink is dry before stamping; most important is to blot the ink off until it's no longer shiny before you start to dab or rub & always have a clean spot on your paper towel.

I can see this being a technique I'll use over & over again!  TFL!

No comments:

Post a Comment