Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Scary Halloween Pop-up ATC


This ATC is for a swap the NEPA Gigglers are doing at Mary Ann's (Geraldinesmom) SU party. I saw a tutorial for a Surprise Pop-up Card by Beate on Splitcoaststampers & I thought an ATC would be cool.  Cyndi Evans has posted the ATC dimensions at the bottom in the Question & Comment section.  I highly recommend watching the tutorial before starting.  This will give you the entire process (which I'm not going to type) plus if you use my dimensions then they will make more sense.  I did make changes to fit my design. Here are my layers:  Perfect Plum base - 3 1/2" X 2 1/2"; Basic Black - 3 1/4" X 2 1/4", Brown - 3 1/8" X 2 1/8", DSP - 3" X 2", black slider - 2 7/8" X 1 3/4" , paper slider guide - 4" X 1/4".  I  used DSP so it would look like grass & mounted it on the black leaving a 1/8" edge.  I then cut through both layers, 1/4" from the edge of the DSP making 2 cuts 2 1/2" long &1 cut 1 1/2" wide.  I found cutting with the DSP up worked best so I could see what I was cutting & it kept the cuts smooth.  I didn't want to make pencil marks on the DSP so I used the lines on my cutter & the blade as a guide.  I only added the brown layer so it would look like a grave for the "surprise".  The ghost is stamped & hand cut.  He's woven in through the tree which is cut from the Cricut.  I used 2 layers for the trees because their size (2 1/2") made them very delicate.  In front of the tree is a Memory Box die cut wrought iron fence which I trimmed on one side.  Then I popped out the tombstone &  pumpkins.  The pumpkins were colored with Copics & then I used Crystal Effects for a little dimension. 
 

Here is a side view when the slider had been pulled!  Cute huh?  I enjoyed making this into an ATC but I do think by adding the DSP it was a little harder to cut.  If you've never made one, I'd recommend doing a card first. A big thanks to Mary Ann for cutting the trees out and letting me borrow her stamp set.  She's the queen of Halloween!!
 
Supplies:  Card stock - SU Perfect Plum, Basic Black, Basic Brown, Whisper White, DSP Cast-a-spell; Stamps - Spooktacular Greetings; Cricut - Happy Hauntings; Die - Memory Box Wrought Iron Fence; Misc - SU Whisper White Ink, Copics, bright green eyelet, SU Black Hemp, SU Crystal Effects, dimensionals, double sided 1/4" tape.
 


4 comments:

  1. OMG Lou Ann! You have outdone yourself. And everybody else for that matter. This card is sssssssooooooooo cute. I can't wait to get mine. And I'm NOT putting it into my ATC book until after Halloween because this ATC needs to be open where I can see it all season. FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek, saw this in SCS... I'm so jealous of you PA gigglers! I wish you had made these at one of the CNY gatherings to share (with me!). Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used your instructions and the Splitcoast Stampers video to make some ATC cards for a cricut event I am currently attending and they were a hit. I am referring everybody to your blog for an example and directions. Thank you so much for inspiring my ATC cards and for sharing such wonderful info!

    ReplyDelete