Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Monday, February 8, 2016

True Love - Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2016 Technique Remix - February

Time for Tim's 12 tags of 2016 technique remix for February! This month's techniques are MONOPRINT from June 2014 & EMBOSSED TEXTURE PASTE from March 2015.  These are 2 more techniques I've never done so I'm excited to be learning so much from following Tim's tags.

This tag will be very special to me because I used a photo of my Mom & Dad instead of one from Found Relatives Occasions or Photobooth! 




For the MONOPRINT Technique Tim used Antique Linen Stain over the entire tag. I only had Old Paper Stain & it was too green so I decided to use an Antique Linen ink pad on a Inkssentials #10 Craft Tags.  I started out applying it with a blending tool but to get it dark enough I had to blend so much it just looked to smooth & perfect.  So I applied it directly from the ink pad to the tag, then sprayed it with water & dried it with a heat tool. I was happy how it turned out.


The next step of the MONOPRINT technique was inking the back of a stencil & applying it to the tag.  It was a little difficult (at least for me) & Tim recommended practicing. I did this step 3 or 4 times before I was happy.  I didn't have the Lace Stencil so I tried using the Doily Stencil but it didn't have enough open space so I ended up with a muddy mess.  I finally decided to use Tim's Latticework Stencil & it worked much better.
  
I inked the back of the stencil with Frayed Burlap, wiped the ink off the wide edge (to avoid having a line) then sprayed it with water.  After I laid the stencil over the tag horizionaly, I used a paper towel to rub over it to apply the ink & to blot the excess water off.  I repeated this step 2 more times making sure I matched the pattern.  Using a blending tool, I distressed the edges with Walnut Stain Ink.


Next I randomly inked the Heart Stencil at the top & bottom of the tag in Candied Apple.  I love this color & it's perfect for February!








The 2nd technique was EMBOSSED TEXTURE PASTE. I only had one stencil with words & it was Tim's Christmas Word Stencil.  It had 1 word that fit the occasion perfectly & it was "wonderful". I spread the modeling paste over the stencil then carefully lifted it off. Then sprinkled gold embossing powder over the wet modeling paste & let the paste dry before heating it.  The embossing is raised & looks so neat.


For the embellishments I added 2 hearts but wanted them a little darker red so I sponged Fired Brick onto white cardstock then die cut them from Scribbles & Splat Thinlet Die Set. I added a little sparkle with a Gold Wink of Stella Glitter Brush. So glad the red still showed through.  The Adage Ticket, "Love" was perfect & inked it with Walnut Stain then crumbled it up.  Mom's heart locket & my Dad's tie was inked with Fired Brick using a nib...kinda wish I would have used gold...well the red really pops. The photo is adhered using 1/4" Scor-tape.  The Philosophy Token "Cherish" was inked with Picket Fence Paint & hung with heavy thread wrapped around the Antique Nickel Arrow. I placed the arrow through the 2nd heart & adhered both to the tag using glue dots.  To finish it off, I added 2 phrases from Occasions Small Talk at the bottom & placed crinkle ribbon dyed with Fired Brick ink at the top.

Although my tag is very close to Tim's, I hope you enjoyed the challenges I worked through as well as the little changes I made!

TFL!!



3 comments:

  1. Wow! Love this tag. I think the lattice stencil was the perfect choice. What a lovely tribute to your folks. Creative Blessings! Kelly

    ReplyDelete