Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Susan's Technique Birthday Tag #2

Each month a group of my stamping friends get together to celebrate birthdays & September is Susan's birthday month. She was not able to attend our Technique Tags Tim Holtz Style get together at The Craft Shack in September so instead of a traditional birthday card I decided to make her technique cards in the form of a birthday tag. I'm so glad she was thrilled to be able to add them to her idea-ology worn binder notebook!

In September we revisited Tim's 12 tags of 2016 from February when he had done the monoprint technique from June 2014 & the embossed texture paste technique from March 2015.

The embossed texture paste technique is just a little more involved & I have to say this is one of my favorites! I'll tell you what I did but I suggest you follow the link above to Tim's instructions.










I randomly placed a few small pieces of symphony tissue tape on a #8 manilla tag to create a little more interest. To create the background, I put abandoned coral, seedless preserves & twisted citron paint on a craft sheet, spritzed it with water then swiped & tapped the tag into the paint. I spritzed the tag again before drying between layers & dabbed off any excess ink until I achieved the look I wanted. The tissue tape will resist the paint & show through the paint. Remember once the paint is dry its pernment so clean it up right away.




Once the paint was completely dry, I stamped "happy birthday" from Handwritten Sentiments then masked it before stamping images from Classics 1, Classics 3, & Classics 4 in jet black archival ink.



The images were stamped again on masking paper & cut out to cover anything I didn't want to be covered with embossing texture paste.











I sprayed the back of the Gradient Dot Stencil with Pixie Spray to hold the stencil in place & placed if over the masked tag. This has a very light tack & clean off nicely.











The embossing paste was spread evenly over the stencil & then the stencil was carefully lifted off. The stencil & palette knife need to be cleaned right way.









The embossing paste was immediately covered with gold embossing powder with the excess removed & put back in the jar. The project was set aside while the embossing paste dried. Once it was dry, it was heated to melt the embossing powder. If the embossing paste isn't dry it will crack & the white embossing paste will show through the gold.

That's pretty must it.

Check out her other "birthday card"!

No comments:

Post a Comment