Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Vintage Holiday Frame


At first, I had a hard time making altered art projects but now I really enjoying them.  This was an unfinished photo frame which, except for a few items from my stash, I filled with Tim Holtz items.  I painted it white then randomly sanded & rubbed Frayed Burlap ink over the white for a distressed look.  All the papers in the background are from Tim's 8X8 Yuletide paper stash.  The back comes off the frame so I cut the paper a little bigger & used liquid adhesive to place the paper on the back of the frame before gluing the back on using glossy accents. 



In the left frame I used a paper that reminded me of old wallpaper.  I thought the "believe" flash card was perfect for this Found Relative photo of a young boy sitting on Santa's lap. The Poinsettia at the top corner is from a pack of Festive Ephmera.





The paper in the top frame has holly berries with leaves.  I wrapped the pine twine twice to make a wreath then wrapped it with thin silver ribbon & distressed a token then hung it with jump rings.  The berries are metallic brads.

The bottom frame has a plain paper with dots & a "box of Christmas lights" Ephnera.  I found the acrylic Christmas lights in my stash so I strung them on floral wire & hung them with screw head brads after I removed the "tails".


This section was the most difficult but I had the fun doing it.  I removed the "tree trunk" then carefully cut one side of the tree off so the back would lay flat against the frame.  It's colored with Peeled Paint Spray Stain (I suggest using gloves & laying it on a lot of paper towels). After the stain dried, I wrapped the tree with silver tinsel twine & used dots of hot glue to hold it in place.  I also hot glued the tree to the frame.  The ornaments are my favorite! First dye the pearls with mushroom alcohol ink which will help tone down the bright colors for a vintage look.  After they dried, I put a few drops of Aqua alcohol ink in a small paper cup, dropped in 3 or 4 pearls & stirred.  Once I got the color I wanted & they were almost dry I put them on a paper towel.  Repeat with Purple Twilight, Cranberry & Sunshine Yellow.  After they dried, I carefully used hot glue to place them on the tree. 


The last section was pretty easy. I used Iced Spruce Paint on the top of the Letterpress & glued them on using glossy accents.  

At the bottom I used a little ephmera sign about not opening presents so why not put a present next to it.  It's from my stash but they would be so easy to make!

I used glossy accents to adhered the 25 ephmera to a fragment & attached a sliver brad so it looks like its hanging on the frame.

Thanks for looking!

Supplies:  KaiserCraft Six Frame Photo Display, Decoart Americana Acrylic Snow White PaintTim Holtz Idea-ology Yuletide 8x8 Paper, Tim Holtz Idea-ology Found Relatives OccasionsTim Holtz Idea-ology Christmastime Flash CardsTim Holtz Idea-ology Jump RingsTim Holtz Idea-ology Woodlands Trees and Wreath, Tim Holtz Ranger Spray Stain Peeled Paint, Tim Holtz Idea-ology - Festive Ephemera PackTim Holtz Idea-ology Holiday Letterpress,  Tim Holtz Ranger Distress Paint Peeled Paint, Tim Holtz Idea-ology Pine TwineTim Holtz Ranger Frayed Burlap Ink PadTim Holtz Idea-ology Typed Tokens ChristmasTim Holtz Idea-ology Mirrors Stars, Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tinsel TwineDarice Craft Designer PearlsRanger Glossy Accents, Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Ink MushroomCranberrySunshine YellowPurple TwillightAquaTim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Grip.  From my stash-silver ribbon, red metallic brads, Christmas lights, floral wire, Screw head brads

No comments:

Post a Comment