Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Flowers & Butterflies

What could be better this time of year than flowers & butterflies?  This month The Craft Shack offered a technique class for partial die cutting.  This is something I have always wanted to learn & saw a couple of videos by Jennifer McGuire so the class was planned around them.  In class, everyone receives written instructions & makes a sample to put on a 6X6 technique card plus they make a card following the technique. Although the concept is the same for both techniques there are slight differences.

This card has one layer so I used a heavy white card stock cut 8 1/4 X 4 1/4 with a finished size of approx. 5 X 4 1/4.  Following Jennifer McGuire's technique On-the-Edge Die Cutting, the flowers are stamped from Sweet 'n Sassy's Flowers in Bloom Stamp Set in Memento Tuxedo Black Ink using a Misti.  I then partially cut the top flower using the coordinating die set.   The stems were short so I used a marker to draw lines to the bottom of the card then colored everything using Tombow Markers.  I accented the brown flower centers with Gold Wink of Stella. The jar & sentiment are from a Papertrey Ink stamp set called Friendship Jar.  I added 1/4" strips of paper from Sizzix Little Sizzles Watercolors paper pack on each side & put Glossy Accents on the jar.  After the glossy accents dries I would recommend lining the inside with another piece of card stock if it warps. 

The second card is also one layer of heavy white card stock cut 8 1/2 X 5 1/2 then scored at 4 1/4. Following Jennifer McGuire's Off-the-Edge Die Cutting & Zig Zag Fold technique, the butterflies are stamped from Sweet 'n Sassy's New Beginnings Stamp Set in Memento Tuxedo Black Ink using a Misti. I then partially die cut the right side of the butterflies using the coordinating die set.  The butterflies were colored using Tombow Markers & I added a little shimmer with clear Wink of Stella. The thin washi tape on teach side is from LittleB & sequin was added using multi-medium matte & a pick-up tool.  The sentiments are from Everyday Miracles by Sweet 'n Sassy.

The only tip I have is once you position the card stock in your die cutting machine, use a little repositionable tape to hold the card stock in place.

Fun cards to make...hope you give it a try.  TFL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment