Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Happy Birthday Pam!

This is another card for the Giggler's June Birthday celebration dinner & it's for my SIL, Pam.  I don't have any sisters & I was lucky enough to marry a guy with 5 sisters! This card has 2 techniques by Jennifer McGuire called Faux Dimension with Stamping and Stencils.  I would recommend watching her video but I did make a few mistakes which I talked about below.

Faux Dimension with Stamps - It's a little hard to see but 'happy birthday" is shadowed.  I started with white cardstock & used my Mini Misti to stamp "happy birthday" from My Favorite Things Party Balloons Stamp Set in VersaFine Black.  The only problem I had was getting the stamp clean.  Once the stamp was REALLY clean, I moved the cardstock up & to the right just a little then stamped "happy birthday" in Versamark. Then I moved it back to the original position & stamped again in Versamark.  It's important to do it in that order because the Versamark will pick up the black ink & you'll end up with a gray shadow instead of white. Ask me how I know...Mistake #1 because that's what I did the 1st time!   Then I heat embossed it using WOW Clear Embossing Powder.  The shadow is hard to see until you do the next technique.

Faux Dimension with Stencils - First using a ink blending tool I put a light layer of Shaded Lilac over the entire card front.  I didn't have any large stencils so I used Tim Holtz's Lace Stencil. Mistake #2 because I had to move it & it's not a repeating stencil but it still looked pretty good.  If I would have planned better I would have put the seam at the bottom so I could have covered it up with a ribbon but I didn't...LOL!  I used masking tape to hold the stencil in place & went over it again with the same color ink & made it darker.  Then I moved the stencil slightly & dabbed over it with white ink.  I gently wiped the ink off the sentiment & then heat set the ink before adding the embellishments.

One other thing Jennifer did in her video was remove the embossing using an iron & copy paper after applying the white ink.  I was going to try it but forgot & put the card together.  I'll save that for another day because I'm definitely using this technique again.  I think Jennifer McGuire is such an inspiration & her techniques aren't very difficult.  Hope you take time to watch her videos!

TFL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment