Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Road Trip - Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2016 Technique Remix - September

My friends & I are just lovin' Tim Holtz's 12 tags of 2016 & we look forward to getting together every month to make our versions!  For Tim's September remix he used his distress paint patina technique from April 2013 and his alcohol ink resist technique from September 2014.

I closely followed Tim's distress patina technique & it was the easiest part of the tag for me.  I used cracked pistachiopeeled paintmermaid lagoon, broken china & tarnished brass. Mine looks different because I didn't dragged it through the paint one way.  I kind of dragged it then rubbed it around so I didn't get the "streaks" of color but thought it took on a patina look.

I also used the same paints on the alpha parts, key, arrow & gears.

On the right of the tag I added a vial label with a rub from botanical set.

The alcohol ink resist technique was quite a challenge for me & it took several tries before I was happy.  I have to say the yupo cardstock is really cool & I was pleasantly surprised that combining pitch black & mushroom alcohol inks together would turn such a beautiful color! I decided to use the car & several other stamps from Visual Artistry's Here and There set & the script from French Memories...don't know why I used that script stamp because I can't drive to Paris...LOL!  Now this is where I had the problem.  Once I stamped the images in black archival ink & wiped the ink off, it seemed to wipe away the details.  I finally decided to wipe from the outer edge of the image inward & it seemed to work better.  Around the small details I dabbed.  I was surprised that I had less problem with the script.  I really liked using the blending solution with the stencils & I used speckledarrows & splatters.  Another boo boo I made was forgetting to mat the yupo so I used a Sharpie marker to make it appear like it was matted.


At the top, I hung the key from various colors of jute string jute string with a loop pin & added a few gears.





To finish up I used a small talk sticker at the bottom, nailheads to the left & more gears.

Thanks for looking & I hope you enjoyed my version of Tim's tag!

No comments:

Post a Comment