Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Sea Turtle Candle

For Christmas this year our stamping group decided to have a Secret Santa gift exchange.  We were to write down a few suggestions or hints to help the Secret Santa select our gift.  I drew my SIL Pam & the only hint she gave was she liked the color green.   I was lucky to know that she recently purchased a painting with a sea turtle for her living room.  I had stamped on a candle many years ago but recently discovered people were using battery operated candles.  After watching several YouTube videos, I decided to make one for her.

Any brand of battery operated candle can be used, it just needs to have a waxy surface so it will slightly melt when heated.  If there are batteries in the candle they should be removed before heating.

White tissue paper was cut to fit the candle then  the turtle from Designs by Ryn Sea Creatures 1 was stamped in Memento Cocoa on the dull side.  A paper mask for the turtle was placed on the tissue paper then several of the sea plants were stamped in Memento Potter's Clay & Bamboo Leaves.  The turtle was colored using Copic YG61, YG63 &  E44 then E21 for the sand at the bottom.

The tissue paper was torn, leaving an edge around the image then centered on the candle with the shiny side against the candle.  A piece of wax paper was cut wide enough to cover the image & long enough go around the candle with some left in the back to hold onto.  The wax paper was placed over the stamped image smoothly & held tight.  A heat tool was used on the image, leaving it just long enough to see the image change appearance. The wax paper was carefully removed, making sure the image was melted to the candle.  If necessary it can be heated a little more.  Using a finger, the tissue paper cam be smoothed out but be careful, it's may still be hot.  If the candle is heated to long it may become bumpy.

I tied a piece of twine around the bottom to finish it off. 

I was happy how it turned out for my first try!  TFL!

No comments:

Post a Comment