Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Monday, December 16, 2019

Tis the Season

This is the Christmas card I did for my stamping friends.  I decided to use a buffalo plaid since it's "in" this year and a shifter stencil because I hadn't played with them yet.  I think they were both good choices!  Sorry this one is a little crooked but it was the only one I had left!!


The background was made by stamping a piece of 5 1/44 X 4'  Stampin' Up Cherry Cobbler CS in VersaFine Black Onyx Ink with Concord & 9th's Plaid Background Stamp.

Instead of using a stamping platform, I laid the stamp on my Tim Holtz Glass Media Mat.  It worked as a giant block!
After laying the cherry cobbler CS over the inked stamp, it was covered it with piece of copy paper.  I rolled a Tim Holtz Brayer over the copy paper instead of using my hand.







This gave a nice even image.









I wanted to use one of the new shifter stencils & decided on the Tim Holtz Tree Shifter Tree Stencil.  A tip Tim has for using the shifter stencils is to paint the back of the stencil with Tim Holtz Black Soot Paint.  The paint will fill in the laser cut outline of the image so you will be able to see where to line it up.   REMEMBER to quickly wipes away the paint with a wet paper towel so just the laser lines are filled in.  If you don't once the paint dries it will be permanent!

I started by positioning Stampin' Up Crumb Cake CS under the stencil & taping it down to hold it in place.  Using a Ranger Blending Tool, it was inked with Tim Holtz Twisted Citron Ink.  Using taping the stencil on the edge, I was able to raise it up to make sure it was completely inked.
The stencil was cleaned & dried before moving onto the next color. The 1st image on the CS was lined up under the painted laser lines.  See how painting the lines helped?  The next set of trees were inked with Tim Holtz Peeled Paint.
The edges were inked with Tim Holtz Walnut Stain Ink.












I decided to add "snow" using Dina Wakley White Gesso.  I put a little gesso on my media mat & sprayed it with water until it was a thin consistency.  After placing the panel in Tim Holtz Splat Box, I used a brush to spatter the panel.

I stamped "Tis the Season" from Stampendous Tis the Season Stamp Set at the top of the panel & added it to the plaid card front.  I'm not sure where I got the reindeer charms but threaded jute string though the hole & wrapped the jute around the card front & secured it in the back with tape.  It was then added to the Stampin' Up Crumb Cake card base using double sided tape.  I added a small matching bow over the reindeer with a glue dot.

I made 19 of these & it really didn't take very long.  TFL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment