Many years ago, my sister (-in-law), Judy, Retired2stamp, invited me to a Stampin' Up Party. I was drawn to the 6X6 recipe card swap our local group was doing and had wanted to scrapbook too. I wasn't really interested in card making because I had witnessed my brother (in-law) Ed fold up a handmade card and put it in his pocket. I almost fainted and I didn't even make the card. But after a few parties, I was hooked and now make more cards than I had ever thought I would. My most recent passions are ATCs, tags & altered art. As you look through my blog I hope you can see how I've grown in my crafting ability!

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Learn From Yesterday - Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2016 Technique Remix - April

It's been a busy month & I'm a little late doing my version of Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2016 for April.  I'm also going to show his techniques to a group at The Craft Shack & then we'll post them on his blog! Tim's remix was faux mosaic from March 2012 & paint resist from November 2015. He has a new product, Ranger Distress Paper Mosaic & I will say after reading the original process, I think the kit was probably easier to use. I followed his basic instructions so I won't put the entire process here, instead I suggest clicking on the link above to see how the techniques were done & watch Tim's video. I used different colors, etc so I did put those below with close up photos.



Faux Mosaic:
I decided to use Tim's BigZ Watering Can Die cut from chipboard instead of the usual manila tag.  The grout has a lot of texture & is gritty but was easy to put on the chipboard using a palette knife.

I used snippets from Tim's Wallflower paper pack.  Once the glue dried, I sponged over the grout with peeled paint ink.  I didn't like the color because it blended in with the fence too much so I went over it with chipped sapphire...much better! Be careful when you wipe the ink off the tiles or your color will come off the grout too.

Paint Resist:

I used the old "paint resist" method (didn't have his new paper). I used white picket fence paint on a "wood" stamp, dabbed it all over with peeled paint & hickory smoke stain.  I tore the top, used a distresser on the edges & inked with it ground espresso.  It's spritzed with water & spattered with black soot paint.  I needed a quote so I cut one up from Idea-ology Occasions Small Talk & added a handle to the garden gate.


The base tag was easy, I sprayed the tag with water, walnut stain & ground expresso stain. Once dried, it was attached the panel to the tag. Then I added a clock.





The Tattered Flowers are cut from the same paper as the mosaic. I applied a light coat of gesso then rubbed them with various colors of crayons & crumpled them for a distressed look. I used Glossy Accents to adhere the gears to the flowers & then to the tag. For texture, strips of burlap are woven between the flowers. I sprayed them with Biscotti Perfect Pearls to add a little shine & sparkle.

I thought it needed a little something more so I die cut a crazy bird, applied gesso & colored with him with crayons. The watering can is positioned so the bird & flowers could be "watered".  I used Glossy Accents to make water drops on the bird & flowers. I don't think he likes getting wet...he looks so sad!  I finished it off by tying burlap & pine twine at the top!


As usual, I learned several new techniques & enjoyed them all...TFL!!


No comments:

Post a Comment